Friday, March 13, 2009

The Red Bench


(I am warning you now-grab a Snickers, this one could take a while...)


You saw my laundry room a while back, and I hinted about how this room does double duty. Yes~I match socks and fold a million pounds clothes in here, but this room serves a purpose in my parenting...
That is where our RED BENCH comes in:

Although I find my boys' sweet little faces darling, I have a goal in mind every day. This goal has gotten me through the 'terrible threes' with Nature Boy, the 'terrible twos' with Dancing Boy and (currently) Itchy Baby...

(The Back Story...)
Tin Man and I both spent time with a lot of kids before we had our own. I was a first grade teacher, and we had ten nieces and nephews before our kids were even born. We saw what we wanted to emulate, and what we didn't want to be as well. We talked out what our plans would be and how (ideally) we wanted to parent. We even took parenting classes before our babies arrived.

Our goal has been this: To be a firm influence while they are young, and to gradually give more responsibility and benefits as they age. To model to them what unconditional love and boundaries look like, and to teach them everything we know about God and our faith. (Some books call it parenting in "the funnel"-strict as they are little, and loosening restrictions as they age.)

The discipline side of this goal is the Red Bench:


The boys have each spent more time in the laundry room than me on some of the 'bad' days. When their time is up, Tin Man or I go in and talk about why they are in there, how they can prevent being in there, and a reminder of how much they are loved. Many times, I have told them, "I am teaching you now so you won't have to learn this later in life. Learn to obey me, so you will also obey God, teachers, bosses, and those in positions of authority over you." I also keep a Bible and and a book, Creative Correction (mentioned later...) in there because if I can show them "this correction is for the bigger picture in life"-I do.



The benefit side of this goal is the Helping Hands Chart:



I am not a 'task-master' but I do expect our rules to be followed. When the rules are followed, the boys have benefits.
That is our Helping Hands chart. When they do jobs around the house-they aren't paid.** (I know! We are so mean!) They aren't paid because it is expected as being part of the family. However-the chore/rules chart filled in each night adds stickers to their own personal 3/5 card. Each night, we review completion of jobs, attitudes, and behavior. (If they were on the bench that day, they have lost one of the stickers...)When their card is filled up, the benefit of a family activity is earned. (It usually takes almost one season to fill a card, so we plan a family activity like going to a museum, train ride, going to the zoo...) Each boy's chart must be filled before a family benefit, so I encourage them to remind and help each other as they can. I don't want it to be a competition of "who finishes first" so I would rather encourage 'positive peer pressure' to finish their charts by working together.
The older boys also earn "game time" and T.V. time to be banked for the weekend. They have busy days with school, homework, and sports, so they do not watch T.V. or play video games during the week. They earn five minutes of T.V./video game time for every job completed. They also will lose five minutes for each job that is not completed, and each time that week on the RED BENCH.

(I hope one day my future daughter-in-laws will appreciate the work I put into their husbands!!!)

My mom always said I had a strong will as a child and she had to guide me with (a bunch!) of correction...However-there is a benefit to being a former Strong Willed Kid. My Will is stronger than my boys', and I work very hard to be consistent. My kids may have strong wills too-but trust me, mine is stronger. And when in doubt-I read this:


Creative Correction has helped me supplement the Red Bench and keeps the boys on the straight and narrow. It is by far the best book I have read for training and guiding small children.


HOWEVER~


If only Lucy (!) would fall in line like the boys have...UGH!



Our furry girl is breaking all the rules for dogs around here!


She doesn't pick up her own toys,



she eats the cat litter (!), chews up the boy's stuffed animals,


and also chewed up this (!!!):


Can you tell what it is? THAT IS MY CARPET-CHEWED TO THE PADDING. A surprisingly huge hole in such a short amount of time...(BOTH of my six year-old's feet can fit in there.) I need the red bench for dogs, or something!!! We may have figured out parenting (so far-don't have teens yet...), but dog training has been a pain in the you-know-what...post signature(LUCY! Get out of the garbage!!!)

22 comments:

Sandra said...

Such a good Mama!!!

I remember all the charts and stickers and chairs... I miss them.

But... I do love my kids age right now... they are funny, intelligent, insightful, and it's a blast to see all the repeating and rules I've set, come to fruition!.. lots of fun!

momofseven said...

I also remember all the charts and stickers and focusing so much on parenting - what happened?????? I still have a three year old :)

My mother gave me the same book a year or two ago. I should get it out and read it????? What do ya think???

Thanks for making my wheels turn. Are we stilling going to see you tonight at 5pm for dinner?

Mommy Mac said...

Great share. I am "in the thick" of it with 3 and 2 year old boys...not sure if sticker time is age appropriate for mine yet or not, but I will scope it out and be on-the-sticker-ready,

Thank you so much for the book idea.

Building men for the next generation is a serious matter to Kenny and me. Our coutnry has a lot to depend on them for. Kenny is actually hosting a Fathers Round Table to 8 hand picked "seasoned" dads in our community. It is going to be like a coaching clinic for dads with young children as the older dads field questions and talk candidly about what made their son an overall success in life.

And me? Well, I just want my daughter-in-laws to have husbands that adore them and PICK UP THEIR SOCKS OFF OF THE FLOOR!!!!

Oh, and of course, want to come to our house every Christmas as opposed to their mother and fathers....

A girl can dream, can't she???

.mac :)

April said...

I am completely blown away! I think I need to go to "Parent Reform School" or something! I did all sorts of charts when my girls were little, but when they hit about 10 years of age...all that went right out the door. Now, with a 17 year old and a tween, it's a matter of survival! We are dealing with raging hormones half the time, so you can probably imagine! Be thankful, very thankful, that you have boys to raise. With girls, there is so much drama, it's not even funny! Trust me, I think you're doing a superb job at being a mom. I've always said that you have to be a parent FIRST...friendship comes later.

Please don't get too mad at Lucy...she looks so innocent! LOL!

Shell in your Pocket said...

What a great post~your investment with these young men{boys}will pay off but it's so exhausting!

I have found that we are now always involved in long drawn out conversations with our son...he is getting older and just talking about different things~ I am mentally tired after!

Cute red bench!
sandy toe

Leah said...

I think I may have to get that book. My darling little boy has been having some serious episodes lately.
The terrible threes are really hitting.

Kristin said...

what a great book. May have to invest in that one. That isn't THE carpet that got chewed up. I hope not.

Tiffany said...

Sounds like you're working on doing a great job! I say working because I know it's always a work in progress - at least it is around here!

And I LOVE Creative Correction, too! It's my right-hand man here!

HeatherPride said...

Great suggestion on the book!! I might have to look into that one. I never know what to do with Logan, and he just doesn't seem to care much about any method of discipline or about getting rewards. I've said it before, but I can't figure that kid out!

Annikke said...

We are having some similar issues with our little poochy --- I'm guessing poor Lucy is rebelling from all the snow! LOL Our dog can't use that excuse - she is just plan being BAD DOG!!!!

Meg said...

What a great post. We have the same parenting goal

Lindsay-ann said...

I had been wondering about that other use for your laundry room and thought I had missed your post about it.
I think you have some great parenting ideas. The red bench and reward charts sound great. Now all you need to figure out is how to apply these ideas to Lucy. I wish you luck!!
Have a great weekend.
Lindsay

Mr. and Mrs. Nurse Boy said...

Great post! Great ideas! Thanks for sharing.

Mrs. Nurse Boy

amy & lisa said...

Wow...I'm impressed! It's just so good to see parents taking the time (and it requires lots) to raise their children. I for one am guilty of not always living up to what I had in mind for parenting. Some days....I tell ya!! :) My kids are all grown up and I think they've turned out pretty good, considering "those days". :)
Good luck with that puppy though!

Quiche Me, I'm Yours! said...

Ah yes the red bench. My 2 year old knows it very well. She even recognizes it on your blog. Her words "Time Out"! Gotta love the two's and the three's! See ya tomorrow!

Scrapper Mom said...

I just wanted to let you know that I read your blog quite a bit, but don't always comment. I saw where you stopped by mine the other day and I appreciate it. I hope you will come back.

With that said, I just wanted to tell you how impressed I am with this bench/chart thingy. My son is 18 now and it's not been an easy road. I look back now and where I thought I was a good parent, (I tried my hardest), I see so many times, I failed at consistency because I got lazy. You just can't get lazy at parenting, because in the long run, you cheat yourself and your child. Good read, Ruby Red Slippers.

Paris Grammie said...

Great blog today ! I follow you regularly even tho I don't comment. You and Tin Man should write a parenting book.You have great ideas. Your boys are going to make great husbands some day, maybe to Nutmeg, Cinnamon, and Ginger !!! I love to see young parents teaching their children to be respectful - so desperately needed today ! God bless you and keep you .

Girly Stuff said...

Good ideas! You have a plan and that is admirable! And your daughter-in-laws are going to love you! But will you have to sit them on the bench once in awhile??

Jen @ tatertotsandjello.com said...

I have to agree - dogs are a whole different ball game! love your red bench. And the chore chart and earning time on tv/games is great! As my kids have gotten older, I am looking to change up my chore system. Your post has given me some really great ideas.

Thanks! Have a super weekend!

XOXO
Jen

Anonymous said...

You're a girl after my own heart!!! We have the "Thinking Chair" and it's back and arms are shaped like pencils... I even have that exact same behaviour chart! But I've had it only for Eli, being the oldest; however, after reading about the 'family benefits', over the weekend, I will be re-sorting it to include Sammo. Thanks a bunch! And I'll be searching the book store for the book you mentioned. I think I've mentioned it on someone's blog somewhere before, but I will always appreciate Dr Dobson's remark about the fact that we are not raising children, we are raising adults... And you are doing a mighty fine job, Mrs Red Slippers! Bless your cotton socks... As for Lazy Lucy, well, I have one word for her... "OUT!" and point your finger like it's a mighty sword!;)... Have a wonderful weekend with your gorgeous boys... N xx

Southern Fried Gal said...

Impressive - everything from the gorgeous laundry room to the consistent way you dole out rewards and correction! Love it all!

p.s. My same reunion is next year, too!!!

Ms. Tee said...

Sounds like great ideas! I'm glad that you could use the recipe for your son with the allergies, bless his little heart. :)