...I need to preface this post with-an UGH!
If you have read my blog (or even just the sidebar~) you know we are Detroit Lions fans. Huge. Yes, I know they were 0-16 last season, and in my lifetime, they haven't been in a Superbowl. (One can always hope, though...) Every year since I have been a child, I have watched the Lions with my dad. Now, I watch them with my Dad, my Tin Man and my Boys. If we are not at the game, we are listening to it on the radio or watching it on the television. We even know some of the players personally from school, and church. They may not be a winning team, but the players and the families we know are fellow believers and just NICE people.
Nature Boy in particular is a big fan. He keeps the Lions stats book by the side of his bed, and he can tell you about any of the players or coaches. He reads the sport section to keep track of his team. However, we had been hiding the paper from him this weekend.
He hadn't noticed or said anything-the weather has been a balmy 38 degrees (our snow has melted...), and the boys have been playing outside on bikes and scooters.But yesterday he hopped in the car after school and just looked at me in the rear view mirror. I know his looks-and this was "The Look". This is the look that means 'I need to talk to you about something big'.
We didn't say anything, but as soon as his kindergartner brother was out of earshot at home, he said, "Is it true, Mama?"
That is why I started the post with "UGH".

He heard through the Little Kid Gossip Grapevine at school about Corey Smith (#93), one of the NFL players lost off the coast of Florida while fishing and the search had been called off. There were a lot of questions from him and me trying to answer them honestly but on an appropriate level...There were some tears, and my tender-hearted son, saying, " ...but Mom, he was my favorite!"
Corey Smith # 93"He was all heart. He was not the fastest. He wasn't the tallest, or the biggest guy for a defensive end. But his heart was bigger than everybody else's."

(Our prayers today are with Corey Smith's family, and with the familes of the other men who were lost at sea...)



19 comments:
Isn't that such a tragedy? I join you in praying for the families left behind. You're such a great mom and I know that your little boy will somehow come to understand that, in life, there are losses along the way...it's never easy.
Oh..how sweet and sensitive is that.
He is a true sports "guy"!
But, friend to friend...you need to cheer for another team...the Cleveland Browns would even be better...smile!
sandy toe
It's such a sad, strange story. Sorry for your little boy.
It's tough to be a lions fan anyway.
Oh, my heart goes out to your little man. I really hate this for him. I heard about this story and I knew about the disappointing season for the Lions (but only because I heard both on the news). It is so disheartening...both for your son, this player's family, and all the Lion fans. I am sure you are wrapping your son up in arms of comfort and encouragement through this. It's not easy to "pick another hero." And, personally, I'm not looking forward to these kinds of days/situations with my own daughter!
I have been following that story. What a heartbreak for anyone, but especially a little boy!!
That whole thing is just so tragic...
They were just out fishing!!! having some fun!
So sad...
a sad story... yes. it has been all over our news, as it was not too far up the coast. and when the world reaches in and grabs the attention of little ones... it breaks my heart.
Oh, what a sweet, sensitive little boy. That is such sad news. You did a good job with explaining to him, though. I'll keep your little guy in my prayers today for sure, and the family of Cory Smith's.
Yep, that quote is all yours! Hope you have a good rest of the day!
It is very sad and like you my prayers are with their families.
You boy sounds like such a sweet boy.
Hi there..I just popped over from "From House to Cozy Home". You blog and family is so cute! I had heard about the football players accident but don't really follow the Lions. I'm so sorry for the loss to your community, and in particular, to your son, family and the Corey Smith family.
I heard about this and it is just so sad.
I can relate to the 0-16 record though...the Cleveland Browns aren't quite so bad, but they are quite a disappointment too! Thanks for your sweet comment on my blog today and your prayers! :)
Carrie
Oh, that just hurts my heart. Poor little guy. I love to see his compassion and caring though. Aw.
A tragedy, and so hard to watch little ones have to deal with that kind of news. Those families have been in my prayers. Jackie
So sad for so many!
Your poor little guy. :0(
I love that he is so sensitive.
Mrs. Nurse Boy
Aw. What a sweet little man you have. He has a big heart, too!
It is such a tragic thing that happened, isn't it? Sounds like you handled it well though.
Hoping you have a good TGIF day~ Les
Hi again hun! Just got your comment and wanted to pop by again to tell you to thank your cousin for his service! Is he stateside or overseas?
Wow hun! That is really neat what he just finished doing for the past 3 years! My Dad was AF and I went to high school in England. Several of my classmates had Dad's stationed in Saudi Arabia and they loved it. That was a long time ago though. I'm sure lots has changed...
That is neat that your cousin is a 'lifer' and enjoys the military so much. My hubby loves it, too!
Have a super rest of your night...Les
Sad. I'm sorry for your son (and family). It is hard to deal with... we had the same thing with the crocodile hunter and my son. He was a HUGE fan, but at least it wasn't a "hometown" thing like you have.
Anyway, my thoughts are with you.
Post a Comment