Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Come On In! Why My Boys Share A Room

My two older boys share a room. They are two years apart in age, and although they are very different in personality, they blend so well together. Sure, they have a few squabbles here and there, but overall-they are best friends. My older son is very neat. He enjoys making his bed, and will always put his clothes in the hamper. My second son is his opposite. He looks at me, and says, "What?" when I give him the"your room is messy, clean it up" look. Somehow-they make this room-sharing work beautifully, though. (They could have their own rooms, we have the space-but this is all by choice.) My reasons for them to share a room are this:

1. They will learn to share personal space with another person .

2. They will learn to compromise with someone who may be different from themselves. (They might be able to handle living with a crazy, college roommate...)

3. They will develop an even deeper friendship that will continue grow over the years.

4. My mom made me share a room when I was little...and look how my sister and I turned out!



Here are a few (more!) special things about their room. The pantings above are on old windows that mimic their bedding. They were made by my dear friend in Virginia. (Not only is she a great friend, a good cook, but she is a REAL artist-she made the window pictures for my boys.) Of course the "things" blocking the view are all the boys trophies, and "boy things".

This truck is their nightlight. (Shh! Don't tell anyone, but the back of the pick-up is where the keys to their journals are kept-and all the things they try to hide from the baby!)

This is their book holder. It has a cute little tricycle painted on it-I just love this! We keep our favorite books in here, and also I try to rotate some seasonal books in here, too.

post signature(Itchy Baby can't wait to join them one day in here. Soon there could be three -!- boys in here...just working on the potty training! I better show the nursery soon, before it is too late! )


31 comments:

Mrs. S. said...

What a cute room!

April said...

I love their room...just perfect for a couple of little boys! Sounds like they have a great relationship...one that will grow deeper through the years. Great job you're doing, Mom!

Mommy Mac said...

Hmmmmm.

That pillow in the desk chair looks a wee bit familar. Kinda like the one in my Casey face's room.

Love the book holder!!!

I would love to figure out a special place to place seasonal books to make them "special."

I'm also thinking about doing a Cobble "book club" where Kenny and I pick a new book a month for the boys, read it together as a family, and then do a "book talk"

Poor guys...they can't help it their mama used to be a teacher!

.mac :)

p.s. Do tell. What time do you arise in the morning? Please tell me it is not between the 4-5 hour as your posts are so early, your house is so clean, and you have great nails....

You do have an "S" on your chest don't you??? Wink, wink!!

Kristin said...

My boys share a room too. The other day I was feeling guilty until William said "I can't sleep unless I listen to AJ breath". I guess I am not scarring them for life.

Anonymous said...

Very cute. I always loved that truck bedding from Pottery Barn. I wish my kids would share a room, even though its boy/girl. Then I'd have an office! No, it's because I'd hope they'd start liking each other more. (and so I could have an office!)

The Mrs. said...

My boys share a room and are about the same age apart as yours. They love it, despite the mess of one and the snoring of the other, they wouldnt have it any other way.

The room is adorable!

Shell in your Pocket said...

Very cute~
I love the pictures on the wall...I posted about my girls rooms yesterday..such a difference b/t boys and girls but they are special in their own right~
sandy toe

Unknown said...

Your house is way too cute!

Always a Southern Girl said...

Love the boys room! You have it deecorated so cute. I shared a room with my sister and we are close. Our girls also share a room when they are at our house. At their mom's they have separte rooms. They enjoy each other. Have a great day!

HeatherPride said...

Cute room! I did read somewhere that siblings who share a room learn to negotiate and argue more effectively than siblings with their own rooms.

Lindsay-ann said...

I enjoyed seeing their lovely room. The window pictures your friend made are lovely and so unique. I think it's great idea having your boys share a room.
Lindsay

Leah said...

Love the window pictures and the book holder.
Your boys are some lucky little boys having such a beautiful room.

Sandra said...

my oldest has his own room and my two youngest share...

We are going to remodel very soon, and we are giving the younger boys our Master Suite and building another Master suite, and they just informed me that they want William, my oldest to share with them too... so we are going to make Will's old room into the Man Cave, I'll have three in one big room... I can't wait!

Janelle said...

Ditto everything above. Love it all. If you get a chance, I wrote about my 2 boys being brothers for life. I thought of your boys. It sounds like you will be able to relate to the spats they have sometimes.

Kathy said...

Love the room! What I really want to know is...could you share your potty training tips? My son is 2 1/2 and ready to be trained, and I just don't know how! How old is your little one? Share your secrets, please!!! :)! Thanks!

Ms. Tee said...

There room is adorable! So sweet and little boy-ish. I love it. :)

Kerri said...

What a cute room! I think it's good for kids to share a room too.

2 Little Irish Boys said...

I love that they share a room. That is so special -- I can't wait till my boys share a room. I want them to share a room for all the reasons you mentioned, too! Love the decor-fab!!

Mr. and Mrs. Nurse Boy said...

Adorable room! My boys also share a room. Priceless memories! I even have a hard time telling them to be quiet when they are talking after lights out. I know they are growing closer together.

Mrs. Nurse Boy

Jen @ tatertotsandjello.com said...

What an adorable bedroom! It's so great that your boys like sharing a room. They will be great friends!


XOXO
Jen

Aracely said...

Sounds like you have you very own odd couple. Cute space, I love it... largely because it's strangely familiar ;-)

Anonymous said...

hey! i sent you an email about two weeks ago letting you know you were the Free Giveaway Friday winner of the two soaps! Please email me your mailing address so that the donator can mail you your prize :)

thepinkpotpourri {at} yahoo

amy @ Life in Pink Hi-Tops said...

My three boys share a room...My daughter is the only one with her own room. The boys think she's spoiled! Love your boys' room!

Anonymous said...

Oh, their room is darling. :)
Thanks so much for sharing...your posts are always so fun and inspiring.
Many Blessings,
Jes

Zip n Tizzy said...

What a darling room!
I also have two boys who share a room. Like yours, they couldn't be more different, but they truly are one anothers very best friend.
I think they would be very sad if we separated them.

Anonymous said...

The comments are missing for todays post so I am adding here. A prayer request please.

There's a sweet teenage blogger who faithfully reads my blog and she's in the hospital with pneumonia. Her name is Victoria. If you could pray for her to get better soon that would be great. She also has Lyme disease so it can make things more complicated.

Thank you.

Girly Stuff said...

Their room is great!!! I had wanted my boys to share a room...I think the age difference was a bit much. The youngest would stay awake and cry too much for my oldest. Now when I let them "sleep" together, NO ONE sleeps until they are separated again. My youngest could stay up all night while my oldest has to go to sleep as soon as his head hits the pillow or he is cranky the next day.

~ Denise ~ said...

I love the reasons you choose to have your boys share a room. Way to go!! ;)

Unknown said...

My three boys share a room, too. Your boys' room is adorable!

I checked out your site Cherry Grove School House. I,too have a degree in Elementary Ed. I am homeschooling my children right now. My second son has dyslexia. Right now I am using Explode the Code, Handwriting w/o Tears and One Minute Reader among other things. He has made great improvements this year, but has a long way to go. He is in 4th grade and probably reading at a 1st grade to early 2nd grade level. It has required a lot out of both of us, but we have both been thrilled with his accomplishments this year.

Em said...

Adorable room! I want my boys to share a room down the road... do you think 5 years apart is too much?

Our Complete Family said...

I love your boys' room! It is so special and perfect!
Thanks for sharing! Les