Thursday, April 9, 2009

Esther: Week 2

"You cannot amputate your history
from your destiny."
~Beth Moore, Esther Study

Sometimes, don't you need a word from God? That phase was my reminder this week.

If you know anything about Esther, you probably remember two things-she was beautiful, and she was a Jewish queen.

She was also an orphan raised by her cousin. A young girl raised by a male cousin. She experienced the trauma of losing both of her parents. I can't imagine. My parents have been such a powerful influence on my life, and I am hoping to be the same for my boys...but Esther had neither parent. Ouch. How could she not think about that throughout each day of her life in some way or another? As Beth said, "You cannot study her without remembering she was without both parents. She was a in a crown as an orphan."

But-even the most traumatic things happen for a reason, and shape us into the women God wants us to be.

"You cannot amputate your history from your destiny."

Everyone has things about their past they wish they could change. Trauma they would erase, or situations in life they wish they had avoided.

That is me, too. I enjoyed my college years VERY much. ...And that is what causes me grief as well. I made choices that I wouldn't make a second time if I had the chance. I don't live with guilt anymore, but I do live with regret.

In the Fall of 1999, I was in the middle of studying the Book of Romans and realized I needed to make an adult commitment to God. I was raised in a Christian home, I knew all the "right answers" about God-but I wanted to KNOW HIM. So, my husband and I prayed together and I released my guilt, and my sin to Him. ("Him" being God, not my husband-we were making this commitment together. That was perfect timing on God's part!)

"You cannot amputate your history from your destiny."

In the past, I would think about choices I had made, and lived in a state of guilt and couldn't forgive myself. I wished I had made different decisions. But the thing I learned was this principle that Beth Moore spoke about today. God HAD a plan for my life, and He HAS a plan for my life. He forgave me, and He currently forgives me each day. My past is what makes me who he designed me to be today. That is REDEMPTION~ and that gives freedom and joy to live each day.

"I say this because I know what I am planning for you," says the Lord. "I have good plans for you, not plans to hurt you. I will give you a hope and a good future. Then you will call my name. You will come to me and pray to me, and I will listen to you. You will search for me. And when you search for me with all your heart, you will find me!"

~Jeremiah 29:11-13

NCV

Everything that happens in this life happens for a reason~ The good, and the bad. It is our past history that God turns into our DESTINY.

" You cannot amputate your history from your destiny."


post signature

Is there something you can thank God for today because you know it has shaped your character, and your destiny?

Here. I'll go first. Thank you God for keeping your hand on my life in my twenties! I was making my own destructive plan, but yours prevailed. Thank YOU!

13 comments:

amy @ Life in Pink Hi-Tops said...

Awesome...."You can't amputate your history from your destiny." Jeremiah 29:11 is one of my favorite verses. I know that what I've been through has shaped me into the person I am today!

larkswing said...

Wonderful post! So true . . .

trish said...

Dear RRS ~
Thank you for being so transparent.
This part of the Esther bible study was pivotal for me! The truth behind those words (regarding our past and our destiny) unlocked my heart in such a deep way! I have run so far from my past and when I realized that it is God's will that the past, present, and future link together, wow! What liberation!!
God was not shocked by my mom's suicide or the circumstances that arose due to that. He was also not surprised by choices I made growing up. He knew that each one would lead me to a redeemed life in Him! Wow! Only God could knit history (as seen in Esther) together.
This particular week in study was painful for me, but a good kind of pain. I was given the grace to look at my life through different lenses and receive a healing that only comes from Christ!
Thank you for doing this study, I have looked so forward to each week you post about it!
Sincerely ~ Tricia Anne

Shell in your Pocket said...

Wonderful post...you seem like an amazingly strong Christian woman and mother- I think your boys will feel the same about you as you do your "mother".

sandy toe

Leah said...

What a beautiful post and it is so true.

HeatherPride said...

GREAT message!! We all have things we need to forgive ourselves for, don't we! I work on this as well.

Girly Stuff said...

Thanks for sharing!

It sounds like a great study!

And I always say...I will not continue to be harassed for decisions I made when I was 16!! What did I know??? And when I'm 80 I will say...I will not continue to be harassed for decisions I made when I was 35! What did I know??

Janelle said...

Thank you for opening up your heart. So many people like myself can totally relate to this. I have too many regrets to count, but good can always come out of a bad situation. I love the title of this post. It's so true.

You are making me want to jump right into Beth Moore's Bible study. I just know I will be able to some day!

Julie said...

What a beautiful post.
I have had a hard time forgiving myself for bad choices in my 20's too...When I was baptized..that is when I realized.. that junk was left in the water...and I have to quit beating myself up..all of my sins are washed away..thank you lord that you died for me on the cross..so that I could be forgiven...Julie

2 Little Irish Boys said...

Thanks for sharing these wonderful words. Just what I needed-I tend to blame myself and feel incredibly guilty about choices I have made and things I have done that I am not proud of --but as you said there is a reason for all of it. I really lean and trust in God on that one--I need to let go of a lot of guilt!

Julie said...

thanks for sharing, I am also thankful for God watching over our time here with all its ups and downs!

Jen said...

Ruby,

Thanks for sharing this post! It was so beautiful and really ministered to me! I love learning about great women in the bible! Ester was truly one of them!

I immediately thought of two things in my life that has shaped me into who I am today! One being the stupid mistakes I made in college! Not of the partying kind but rather bad judgments when it came to studying and GOING to class! There were a couple of semesters I totally blew off and ended up with ZERO credits by the end of the year! The worst part about it was I lied to my family and led them to believe I was still on track to graduate! I finally came clean to my parents! It was one of the HARDEST thing I ever had to tell them! And two days later my mother was killed in a car accident! It was very traumatic to say the least but I am proud to say I finished my bachelors degree a year and half later and then last August I received my Masters! I honestly don't think I would be where I am today if it weren't for that really difficult time in my life!

I praise the Lord for shaping me into the woman I am today! It is absolutely true, "You cannot amputate your history from your destiny!"

Thanks again for sharing!

I hope you enjoy this Easter weekend!

Blessings

Jen

Julie said...

We're doing this Bible study at our church and it is so powerful and eye opening. I always thought of Esther in a fairy tale sort of way and didn't even realize it.

Thank you, Lord for holding me in the palm of your hand when I didn't want to be, for keeping me safe when I didn't even realize I was in danger. Thank you for showing me (and reminding me) how good and faithful you are.

Have a great weekend!