
I don't know about your kids, but sometimes mine seem so ungrateful. They have everything they need, and most of what they want. (And sometimes-that is a BAD thing...) We have been working with them on having a grateful heart. Tin Man and I were talking one night about this issue after one of the boys had a meltdown about emptying the dishwasher after having two solid hours of play time. You would have thought we asked him to empty the dishwasher after making him sit silently for hours...
So we came up with something that we have been requiring of our boys every time we hear a complaint. They have to raise up a hand and count off five things they are thankful for. When they do this, they have a hand raised in thanks to God. We have so many blessings-how can we not be thankful?

QUICK!
Give me YOUR five...What are you thankful for right this minute?


(Here are five things I am thankful for today:)
1. I am thankful that I am waking up to go early to school for "Muffins With Mom" with my oldest boys. (I am not really thankful that I have to wake-up early, but I am happy to be with my boys...)
2. I am thankful that today is a half-day of school-we are gonna have fun today! (Doing what, I don't know-)
3. I am thankful that I am going out with a girlfriend for dinner tonight-(no husbands or kids)!
4. I am thankful that my husband is excited to babysit while I have fun tonight...(Well, he's pretty excited. I hope...)
5. I am thankful that we have a convertible, and we ALMOST can use it!!! (Spring is in the air!)



18 comments:
What a wonderful idea with your kids~ I like that!
Have fun tonight!
sandy toe
What a great lesson for your boys! Ok...here's my list:
1. I'm thankful that my hubby made it home from New Orleans last night safely, even if it was after midnight! Not a great way to spend his birthday!
2. I'm thankful that Friday is FINALLY here!
3. I'm thankful that my hubby and I get to enjoy lunch out together today!
4. I'm thankful that my girls are healthy and happy and that we get to spend next week together in Colorado having fun!
5. I'm thankful that I'm LOVED!
So, how's that for ya? Hope you have a super day!
This is another one of you ideas that I am stealing to use with my boys. I also make sure that the boys give freely to others. Giving really helps them to appreciate what they receive.
I'm thankful today that:
1) Donovan is drinking more and therefore doesn't have to be readmitted to the hospital.
2) That the rain seems to have stopped today and that we will be able to enjoy the last day of spring break outside afterall.
3) that my husband is understanding and picks up my major pregnancy stack.
4) That my church family is so supportive and helpful.
5) That my faith has increased daily and my prayers are being answered constantly.
My 5:
1. I am thankful I am healthy.
2. I am thankful that I get to be with the kids this weekend.
3. I am thankful we have a nice house to live in.
4. I am thankful we are both employed.
5. I am thankful to have great friends and family.
Wonderful idea!!
I am thankful for:
1. This absolutely beautiful sunny day!
2. For the great night sleep I got!
3. My cute little beach babies and their excitement.
4. To be able to go on vacation
5. That God made an incredible thing--the ocean!!
Oh, that is the best idea I've heard in a looong time. I love that they're raising a hand of thanks! Hope you enjoy your girls' night out! :)
Good idea...I may be using it on my oldest!
1. To be at home with my boys and not working today
2. That I am healthy and not fighting illness
3. That my oldest is doing good in school
4. That my husband left and came back from Dallas safely
5. That it is the weekend
1. I'm thankful for having good health insurance.
2. That we have had rain..after a long drought.
3. That my daughter had enough money to go on her College mission trip to Romania.
4. I am thankful that my mother and I have healed our relationship after 5 years.
5. I am thankful for the wonderful job I have (Fridays off)!
What a great idea to have your boys do...wonder if I can get my Teenage son to do that???
Have a wonderful Friday...Julie
1.I'm thankful for you and this blog
2. I'm thankful that my husband and kids put up with me
3. I'm thankful for God's forgiveness and sacrifice for me and for all of mankind
4. I'm thankful for my core of friends who I will be going out with tonight!!!
5. I'm thankful for eternity and the hope it brings to me
What a great idea!!! I'm gonna start that!
1. Being a SAHM for 15 years now.
2. For my healthy, beautiful kids.
3. My parents, alive, healthy and good to us.
4. I love the state I live in.. it is heaven on earth.
5. for my marriage. It may not be perfect... but the love is deep and strong.
1) I am thankful for healthy children.
2) I am thankful that I live in a country where I do not live in fear and that my children will grow and prosper without oppression.
3) I am thankful for my parents, who continue to do all they can to care for me and my children.
4) I am thankful that my husband and I are both still employed in this economy.
5) I am thankful for finding a great group of people in this blogging community!
I am going to start using that trick with Logan when he complains!!
So awesome. I was feeling bummed because my husband is leaving on a trip tomorrow, but it doesn't seem so bad when I think about five things I am grateful for! (So maybe it works when I have a complaint too! ;)
And... of course you can use our handprint idea as a gift too! Thanks for all of your comments...
1. My family, all healthy and happy under one roof. Something I've learned not to take for granted over the last 2 years.
2. A new Christian Jewish Ministry at our church.
3. I'm thankful for cell phones, especially ones that play kid shows during 2-3 hour Dr. appointments.
4. Blogs and the awesome women that I've gotten to know (Ruby Red).
5. My parents and In-laws. I'm so blessed with support on both sides.
Hey Girl,
You know how much I adore you and enjoy your blog. So, please stop by when you get a chance and claim something I have for you.
Enjoy your weekend with your family!
What a great idea on how to help your children be more thankful.
Your boys are so lucky that you care enough to not just raise them, but to teach them such valuable things.
I enjoy your blog so much!! So inspiring.
Love the idea for the boys!
Here's my list...
1. Thankful for saving grace!
2. Thankful for a fabulous husband!
3. Thankful for a wonderfully creative, active and all boy boy!
4. Thankful for friends - old and new, local and distant!
5. Thankful for wonderful blessings in March!
Love the idea! We were just trying to think of some way to head off all the complaining. Thanks!
Post a Comment