Monday, March 8, 2010

Dinner Is Ready: Let Them Eat Homemade Mac And Cheese

Oh, is this stuff good!
{Fattening-sorry-, but oh so delectable!}
I serve it with a salad, so I feel {a little bit!} better about eating this Mac and Cheese! It is easy to make too, because the sauce is made in the microwave.
{It is kid friendly-and we are doing what we can here to get the little people to eat!}
Ingredients:

1 cup elbow macaroni {or other type of pasta noodle-we use cavatappi noodles: cute little corkscrews!}

1 cup milk

3 tablespoons all-purpose flour

salt and pepper to taste

2 tablespoons butter

1 cup shredded Cheddar cheese/Mexican cheese blend and a tiny dash of parmesian cheese


Directions:

Bring a large pot of lightly salted water to a boil. Add pasta and cook for 8 to 10 minutes or until al dente; drain and reserve.
In a microwave-safe bowl, combine milk, flour and salt and pepper to taste; whisk or beat until smooth. Add butter and cheese; microwave on high for 5 minutes and whisk until smooth. Microwave for an additional 4 to 5 minutes and whisk or beat until smooth and no lumps remain.
Add cooked pasta to mixture; stir and serve:
post signature
(...Who loves a little bit of fattening foods...alright-a lot!)

***A Post-Script: Our youngest does has severe food allergies to milk and egg products-and I have gotten a few e-mails asking what we do when we serve things that he is allergic to for meals. It is second nature to us now, but we are always making substitutions for him. So when I make things like Mac and Cheese, I use the same noodles {which I make sure are egg and milk free-} but make him pasta with marinara-
{...Just so ya know!}

10 comments:

April said...

Abby would gobble that down in about 2 seconds flat...she lives off of mac-n-cheese! I can't get over how easy it is to put together! Definitely a keeper...THANK YOU! :):)

Southern Fried Gal said...

Yum. I love comfort food. Looks delicious. Thanks for your uplifting words yesterday. You rock, friend!

Diana Ferguson said...

Looks yummy! I've got the dessert ready.

RaD said...

Mmmmmm..... I love Mac n cheese cooked all different ways (except in a box). Might just have to try me some of that sometime.

bevy said...

Last mac and cheese I made was Pioneer Woman's version. It was delish... but took so long to make! Yours seems much easier. I must try it! Thanks... ;)

Mr. and Mrs. Nurse Boy said...

YUM! I am not a huge mac n cheese fan, but this looks great!

Mrs. NB

Carrie @ Cottage Cozy said...

Hey...it looks great! And so does your blog by the way!

2 Little Irish Boys said...

I was just thinking I need a "real" mac 'n cheese recipe. I generally do Kraft shells n cheese--lazy like that!!

Mommy Mac said...

My heart just aches for that little guy of yours.

No milk or eggs or cheese???

Poor tike.

I am sure he has a super great attitude about and I am sure you and Tin do a super great job at making him feel as if he is not without.

I still remember the post about his 1st ever birthday cake.

I bet finding out he had these sever allergies was a roller coaster ride for you all when he was a baby!

.mac :)

Mother Hood said...

Man! You are NOT helping me in my quest to "get fit"! :op