{Review of John 15:1-16:4}
This weeknd, we sat down with our two older boys to discuss safety.
We reviewed the rules about strangers, and the importance of following directions.
Have you had those difficult talks with your kids?
This time, we were explaining that unfortunately there are people in this world who want to do children harm.
We told them how our goal is to keep them safe...because we love them SO much.
Because they are another year older, and have grown in understanding, we also went into a little more detail about some specific cases. {Don't panic-we only shared age appropriate information, still-}
But it made an impact.
It did take a little bit away of their innocence, but it was done so out of love and concern for their welfare.
In John chapter 15, and 16 that is the motive behind Jesus' talk with His diciples.
Why did he spend His time in the Upper Room with His diciples giving warnings?
Because, like a parent, He was cautioning them out of love:
Jesus cautions them to remain in Him,
{John 15:1-8}
John 15: 5
"I am the vine; you are the branches. If a man remains in me and I in him, he will bear much fruit; apart from me you can do nothing."
Jesus cautions them to love others,
{John 15: 9-17}
John 15: 12
"12My command is this: Love each other as I have loved you."
and finally,
Jesus cautions the diciples that there will be some who won't love you.
{John 15:18-16:4}
John 15: 21
21"They will treat you this way because of my name, for they do not know the One who sent me."
~Out of a parental kind of love:
John 16:1 (New International Version)
1"All this I have told you so that you will not go astray."
~Out of love.
Love is what motivated the safety talk we had with our two older boys this past weekend.
Love for them is what forces us to teach them to be cautious.
My mom (the wise woman that she is-) is the one who told my husband and I one time when our oldest was only sixteen months, "YOU are the advocate for your children. If You don't stand up for them, no one else will. No one else will care for them and love them as you do...so be the safety net, the love, and the guidance that they need you to be."
Have you had safety talks with your children?
What are some of the things you tell them to protect them from harm?

{See you next week for the book of 1John...I have a title swirling around in my head called "The Unloveables"...Do you have people like that in your life? [Uh, yes!?-] Are you one??? [Uh, sometimes?...] Read the book of First John, and come back on Tuesday, and we can share perspectives on those we sometimes call, "Unlovable".}





8 comments:
We haven't had any major safety talks, yet. However, sometimes when Cash just wanders off in a store I pull him aside and talk to him. I have been telling him honest things carefully like someone could take you away and I need you to stay close to me. I am trying to get him to see not everyone is so nice.
Safety talks are tricky, but yes...we have do it! Even with Casey face at only 3. I make it a point to share a smile, meet someone they don't know with their eyes, but always think safety first!
I even have pointed out the missing children posters that hang in Wal-mart.
It's hard to think you could be scaring them, but your mama's advice is sooo true...WE are THEIR advocates!
.mac :)
We have had the short talks about not walking off in stores because someone could take you, and the if someone touches you talk. Like so many parents today I believe you have to start early just to keep your child safe. I hate feeling like I am scaring him so it isn't an easy thing for me to do.
Yes, we've had these talks because there are people out there who want nothing more than to harm our sweet babies. Our children are not allowed outside alone. It's sad, but they must have a sibling with them when they want to ride bikes. It's just not safe. They are not allowed on websites that allow chatting. I have explained that sometimes people pose as children and they are NOT children. I pray for their protection daily.
I hate this talk. I have had to have it too many times in their life.
But it payed off recently.
My oldest was in the school bathroom and a man from the YMCA program was in the stall rattling the door and calling "hey boy" while my son was at the urinal.
He zipped up and ran out and told his coach.
The man claimed he was only "kidding"...what a freak.
It was quite the fiasco. The school said they didn't want to get into a "he said, he said" thing and took the man's word.
So you are right. Only we can stand up for our kids.
I try to incorporate little safety chats in our daily routine. It's so hard to not scare them and also not get upset myself just talking aobut these things! But, little chats about always holding mommy's hand in public, never running off, not talking to strangers and always answering if mommy/daddy call your name (my middle son loves to hide, even just at home, and not respond! scares me to death.) seem to be effective. Loved the verses at the end of your post. Gave a me a warm fuzzy feeling evean about a topic that scares me to much! :)
Our first safety talk came when Madeline McCann disappeared. We talked A LOT about it, and how kids have been taken and killed, or kept alive but not allowed to see mommy or daddy. We talk about it now freely, whenever they bring it up or if there is another abduction that hits it big in the news.
We have drilled several things into their heads. They are asked to stay together when playing outside at all times. They are not to talk to strangers unless Mom and Dad are nearby, then please answer politely. Just because someone knows your name does not necessarily mean they know you or your mom and dad. Do not go with them under any circumstances. Do not help a stranger find a lost dog or go near a car if they are offering you candy or money. Do not give directions to a stranger tell them they should ask an adult. I know they are a little young for that last one, but I've heard that some strangers have used that as a means to get close enough to the child or to see if they know the area well, meaning they probably live somewhere nearby.
There's more but that's all that has come to mind at the moment. And, yes, I hated giving them that talk too. They could not truly grasp to begin with that someone out there would actually want to hurt them or any other child. We do what we must though.
I stumbled here from 3 Girls and a Boy and I think I shall be returning. I like it here!
I had to talk to Kaishon about racism when he was in 2nd grade and there was a boy that called him Brownie every day. That was hard. I had to talk to him about it again this year when the Senior Citizen neighbor screamed the word 'ni&@er' at him. Very sad.
Post a Comment