Monday, March 1, 2010

Cry Me A River Dorito Taco Salad

We LOVE Spanish/Mexican food up here in Michigan.
I have listed our many, many {don't fall asleep on me~} Taco Recipes Here, Here, and Here.
(Oops! I forgot one... even Here!)
Why not another Taco Recipe???
{I can't hear you through the screen, so this is a go... again~}

Dorito Taco Salad

{...May I just complain for a minute?
My three boys-yes, all of them- cried when I put this on their plates one night. CRIED. And I am not talking tears of joy-I am talking,
"No, Ma, No! That looks so gross! You put BEANS (!!) in it? Not again! This is so unfair! I hate this! Yuck! Beans!"
...and on, and on~I was so mad. They LOVE Doritos, they love Tacos-SO WHAT if I added Beans?! Pick them out for crying outloud! So that is what I said.
They dried their eyes. They stopped the complaining, and all three said, "Doritos?" "You put doritos in our dinner???" Then they took tenative bites-because who in their right MINDS can ignore Doritos in this house?? Not. A. One.
So~ dinner was then peaceful, and happy. And the beans were left on the plates-and I was fine with that...I was expecting it.}

Anyways. Back to the CRY ME A RIVER Doritos Taco Salad Recipe:
1 head lettuce, shredded
1 medium onion, chopped
1 can of kidney beans drained {which is known to cause a crying meltdown of three boys~}
1 lb. hamburger, browned
2 cup Cheddar cheese, shredded
3 medium tomatoes, chopped
1 bag Doritos, crushed (taco flavored preferred)
1 bottle French dressing


For dinner: In a large serving bowl, layer ingredients starting with lettuce and ending with tomatoes. Then crush up one large bag of Doritos, and add to salad. Open the French Dressing, and pour over Taco Salad. Mix and Serve. (Doesn't keep well-Soggy Doritos not so good-)
Now, Because your kids will LOVE this Taco Salad so much-here is how to pack it for school LUNCH the next day:
In a small container-  layer each ingredient starting with lettuce and ending with tomatoes*. Pack a small container of dressing and a small sealer bag of Doritos which can be pre-crushed with a rolling pin or let your kids do it themselves with their fist. Just before eating, have them pour on the dressing and top with the crush Doritos.

(*Leave out the beans for lunch...unless you don't mind tears at school...)
post signature
(...Who added beans for a "dramatic flair" for dinner one night!!)

18 comments:

Leah said...

I would be crying out loud right along with your boys but I would eat the beans, it's the Doritos I would have to leave out. LOL
The rest of it sounds good though.

trish said...

Oh my goodness! That looks delicious!
:o) Trish

mysteryhistorymom said...

Mmmmmmm! I may be making a trip to the store for some Doritos, today.:) I love salad and this looks delicious! Thanks for sharing! Lori

Annette said...

that reminds me of when I tried your last taco recipe, I was so excited about it and my kids were all complaining "whats the green things in the cornbread?" etc.... So glad we arent the only ones!!! Hahaha Dorito Tacos sound yummy

Annette said...

that reminds me of when I tried your last taco recipe, I was so excited about it and my kids were all complaining "whats the green things in the cornbread?" etc.... So glad we arent the only ones!!! Hahaha Dorito Tacos sound yummy

Jen @ tatertotsandjello.com said...

Yummy! That sounds wonderful!

I was just reading in my Food Network magazine yesterday about an Iron Chef where the challenge was Doritos. They made the funniest things. I think this sounds way better!

XOOX
Jen

Amber Filkins said...

Mmmmm. you totally just made my mouth water with this recipe. I ♥ Taco Salad! My grandma has always made one like this, but we put fritos in it. Super good too. I'll have to try it with Doritos.

LOVE that your boys bawled until they knew there was chips in it. lol.

Thanks for sharing! Happy Monday!

Carmen @ Life with Sprinkles on Top said...

Yum! This is my favorite way to make taco salad, except I don't make it with beans. ;) I also use Western dressing instead of French. If you like Western dressing, try that next time. It gives it an extra zing.

Lindsay-ann said...

That looks delicious but I would have left the beans too! But don't tell your boys!
Please can I come round next time you have the knex out? I love those things.
Lindsay
x

April said...

You can never go wrong with a good taco salad, in my book! They're just so easy to pull together and delicious, too!

2 Little Irish Boys said...

I love taco salads--think I might need to introduce this one! Sounds yummy and will give me an excuse to buy Doritos--i love em but of course they are "junk food" according to my hubby!!

Heather said...

These look and sound so yummy!! I am going to try these, thanks for sharing!

Kristin said...

Yummy. I will be trying that this week. Any excuse to buy Doritios. I have the same crying fit for dinner tonight over the beans I dared to put into the chilli I made. I am a mean mean mommy.

Mr. and Mrs. Nurse Boy said...

YUM! I LOVE mexican!! I will be giving this a try. My kids aren't so fond of beans, either, but I make them eat them. I am mean like that!

Mrs. NB

Carrie @ Cottage Cozy said...

Isn't it funny how they judge the taste of the food before they even give it a try! Nothing different for heaven's sake! haha

Girly Stuff said...

I have had this kinda sorta before. It is really yummy!

I will try it out and let you know how we all handled the magical fruit!

Anonymous said...

I want to make this for dinner! I think everyone would be gaga over it!

Letti said...

my kids will love this recipe. Thanks for sharing it.