Tuesday, March 9, 2010

"The Unloveables"

This past week we studied the book of First John.
Talk about convicting!
It is all about LOVE...
Not the mushy, gushy feeling of being "In Love", but rather REAL love.
{LOVE for others we can only have when Christ lives in us.}

God's love for us:
1 John 3:1a (New International Version)
"1How great is the love the Father has lavished on us, that we should be called children of God! And that is what we are! "
{Oh, how I love that-}

And how we need to love others:
1 John 4:7-8 (New International Version) 

7Dear friends, let us love one another, for love comes from God. Everyone who loves has been born of God and knows God. 8Whoever does not love does not know God, because God is love.
{Ouch..}
 
I have some "Unloveables" in my life these days. You too? Seriously, If I used this post to tell you-My "Unloveables" could possibly become your "Unloveables" too-
...But then again, I can BE unloveable at times, as well...You too??
Glad I am not alone!

Those in my life these days that are "Unloveable" in my eyes, I do pray for.
I really do.
And NOT like this:
{I am begging you to watch this short video-I heard it on the way home one day, while I was thinking of how to post about the "Unloveables" in my life. When this came on, I laughed so hard, I had tears...because-there are days I SO WANT to pray like this!}
***MUTE THE MUSIC AT THE BOTTOM OF THE PAGE***


If you didn't take my advice to watch it, here are the words I KNOW you really didn't want to miss:
"Pray For You" by Jaron and The Long Road to Love

I havent been to church since I don’t remember when

Things were goin’ great ‘til they fell apart again

So I listened to the preacher as he told me what to do

He said you can’t go hatin’ others who have done wrong to you

Sometimes we get angry, but we must not condemn

Let the good Lord do His job and you just pray for them

***
I pray your brakes go out runnin’ down a hill

I pray a flowerpot falls from a window sill and knocks you in the head like I’d like to

I pray your birthday comes and nobody calls

I pray you’re flyin’ high when your engine stalls

I pray all your dreams never come true

Just know whereever you are honey, I pray for you

***
I’m really glad I found my way to church

‘Cause I’m already feelin’ better and I thank God for the words

Yeah I’m goin’ take the high road

And do what the preacher told me to do

You keep messin’ up and I’ll keep prayin’ for you
I pray your tire blows out at 110

I pray you pass out drunk with your best friend and wake up with his and her tattoos

I pray your brakes go out runnin’ down a hill

I pray a flowerpot falls from a window sill and knocks you in the head like I’d like to

I pray your birthday comes and nobody calls

I pray you’re flyin’ high when your engine stalls

I pray all your dreams never come true

Just know whereever you are, near or far, in your house or in your car,

wherever you are honey, I pray for you.

I pray for you

{Is that not the funniest thing ever??!! Now go back and watch the video- It is humor I think we all can relate to at one point of our lives or another!}

But I have a feeling this is NOT what the Book of First John was talking about.

Yes. We have "Unloveables" in our lives-
Yes. They drive us crazy, hurt our feelings, wrong us in so many ways-
Yes. God knows-
Instead of giving into the bitterness, anger, and hatred that you just want to go with, He wants us to love them.
{Trust me, I KNOW how hard it is-}

But as First John points out~ we aren't so perfect ourselves, and still He sent His son to die on a cross in our place:

1 John 4:9-11 (New International Version)


9This is how God showed his love among us: He sent his one and only Son  into the world that we might live through him. 10This is love: not that we loved God, but that he loved us and sent his Son as an atoning sacrifice for our sins. 11Dear friends, since God so loved us, we also ought to love one another.

I guess when you put  it like that-
I can still:
 Love More,
Be More,
and Pray More.
{Not like the prayer suggested above, but really pray for them...and love them with God's Love.}

Well, Shoot.
I guess I still have more work to do on me today...
I am headed to pray for love as I work on loving the  "Unloveables~" in my life today...
post signature
{Homework for next Tuesday: John 16: 5-33, along with Acts 2-4}

10 comments:

Shannon said...

Great message. Yes, we all have "Unloveables" in our lives and at times we're all "Unlovable" in our own way!

Shannon said...

Great message. Yes, we all have "Unloveables" in our lives and at times we're all "Unlovable" in our own way!

April said...

Oh, girl...did I ever need that this morning! I've never heard that song before or seen the video, but I LOVE IT! It's hilarious! Praying for the "unloveables" in my life...that's something I really need to work on. Thank you for your inspiration from God's word!

Jen said...

That gives a whole new meaning to the saying, "I am praying for you!!"

Thanks for sharing that! I needed it this morning!

Anonymous said...

My Husband is SO reading and seeing this in the morning!!!!!!!!!!!! Say. No. More... other than, this post is perfect!

Love ya! N x

AMIT said...

Great message you are giving.

post free classified ads

Ashley Bray said...

Thank you so much for posting this this morning, I really needed it. It is so easy for us to love the loveables and dismiss the unloveables, but that is not what God wants us to do. I realize that through circumstances in my life I have been very selfish lately and need to redirect my focus and prayers.
Thank you so much!!

amy @ Life in Pink Hi-Tops said...

Hilarious song!! I try to always pray this for my Unloveables--"God, please bless them!"

Angie said...

Such a great lesson for us all!

amy & lisa said...

This video was posted on facebook, it looked interesting, so I clicked play. I stopped it soon into the song. I was like "what kind of song is this?" If I pray for someone, I want to pray good things. It kinda freaked me out! :) NOW, after reading your post about it, I feel so much better. What a great reminder to not just pray for those we love and ask good things for, but to pray for those we struggle with and ask for good things for them too! Boy....what a dumb song can do for a sinner like me! Thanks for sharing. :)